Welcome to Avatar The Last Airbender RPG! We hope you enjoy your Roleplaying Experience. If you are a User you may log in by clicking the button below, or if you do not have an account you can register by clicking next to Log In.
Welcome to Avatar The Last Airbender RPG! We hope you enjoy your Roleplaying Experience. If you are a User you may log in by clicking the button below, or if you do not have an account you can register by clicking next to Log In.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

420 years after the fall of Ozai, decades of tranquility have brought about an era where peace is no longer only a mere philosophical abstraction. However beyond the grasp of the Four Nations, a long lost legacy resurfaces.

HomeAvatarEventsRegisterLog in
Discord
Latest topics
» ZapdosZulu
Just a few general site suggestions. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2023 12:06 pm by FyrebirdEvo

» Avatar RPG Funniest Moments on Chat ~ !
Just a few general site suggestions. I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2021 12:55 pm by Loolaalee

» Masquerade! (Open)
Just a few general site suggestions. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2021 3:02 pm by Paracelsus

» Guo Shu-Fang
Just a few general site suggestions. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2021 1:13 am by Tsumi Buredo

» Akechi Kamui
Just a few general site suggestions. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2021 1:03 pm by Fire Lord Kouzai

» The Ibashiyama Festival(Closed, Makaru, Kouzai)
Just a few general site suggestions. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 4:08 pm by Makaru

» Kyoshi umgon (wip)
Just a few general site suggestions. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 2:32 am by Kyoshi umgon

» The Eagle and the Osprey | (Kouzai, Loolaalee) | [CLOSED]
Just a few general site suggestions. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2021 6:44 pm by Loolaalee

» High shining. My sun-prince. For a myriad reigns. Should you have ruled the land. From your Island Palace.
Just a few general site suggestions. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2021 1:52 am by Deej

Time converter at worldtimebuddy.com
Staff

-Head Admin-
Fire Lord Kouzai

-Council of Admins-
Tsumi Buredo
Loolaalee
Massie
Lady Azzy
Niya

RPG Info

Years Since Ozai's Fall
420 Years
Current Year
It is currently the year: 420 AO (After Ozai)

Kaniehtí:io "Ziio" Aarushi

Royalty
Earth King Lu Meleng
Emperor Nobunaga Ezofuji
Tekonwenaharake Ojitsah, Waneek of the North and South
Roland Hirahara, King of the Four Winds
Light King Sallan Wynphyra V
Dark Lord Pan Daiyu

Affiliates

The Loremaster's Roleplay Family:
Just a few general site suggestions. 89282716461

Our #1 Affiliates:

Our Facebook Affiliates:
Top posters
Fire Lord Kouzai (4839)
Just a few general site suggestions. I_vote_lcapJust a few general site suggestions. I_voting_barJust a few general site suggestions. I_vote_rcap 
Loolaalee (1351)
Just a few general site suggestions. I_vote_lcapJust a few general site suggestions. I_voting_barJust a few general site suggestions. I_vote_rcap 
LadyKura (1291)
Bailey The Flamewarden (961)
Leosan (878)
Maki Shadowblade (820)
Tsumi Buredo (726)
Earth King Lu (687)
Annabelle Rinoa Reynolds (651)
River (647)

Just a few general site suggestions.

Go down 
+3
Laurent
drakendottir
`Jia
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
`Jia
Advanced Novice
Advanced Novice
`Jia

Just a few general site suggestions. Empty
PostSubject: Just a few general site suggestions.   Just a few general site suggestions. I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 3:41 am

I hope I'm not being a pain, but I've noticed a few things about this site that could use some tweaking. I'm not saying that the admins are not doing their job, because I understand how hard it can be to run a site. But I've noticed that there a lot of things can be made better.

Suggestion #1 - NAMES

The Avatarverse is heavily Asian influenced, so there's not a lot of characters with westernized names in the show. I'm not saying that everyone should delete their characters and restart, but it would be a good idea to find some interesting, even, better names for their characters. For example, a Souther Water Tribe member would be more Inuit/Ainu inspired, so a name like Nuutaq for a male would be more suiting and more cooler sounding than something like John Smith. Kana or Anana, would also be a nice name for a female character.

Most of the canon countries are based on real life cultures like -

The Fire Nation - Edo era Japan/Dynasty era China. Names like Lu Fen or Michiko would fit here.

The Earth Kingdom - More Korean/Middle Eastern inspired. A name like Ah Juhn Baek would make much more sense here.

Air Nomads - Tibetan inspired. Chodak, Naymangal, etc. You get the idea! ^.^

Remember, I mean no disrespect, but I thought that these suggestions could help a few players that may be stuck on trying to find a name for a character.

Here are some links -

http://users.on.net/~tbi/tibetan_names.htm
http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/category-tibetan-names.html
http://www.20000-names.com/
http://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/japanese
http://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/chinese

Suggestion #2 - Profile requirements

Again, another touchy subject for a lot of players. But I have noticed (I like to read other people's character bios, heh heh) that along with a good, well written character profile, there are some that are a bit...lacking, so to speak. And usually, the poorly written character's player either disappears (*ahem* again, I'm seriously sorry for poofing on you all!) or their activity seems to wane and die out. Now, I'm not going to name any names, but what I would like to see is some quality roleplaying and people who are dedicated to making a good, well-rounded character.

First off, no MARY/MARTY SUES! Those types of characters are usually overpowered and do a good bit of godmodding, which makes it unbearable for the other players to enjoy the game. You can tell when a character is a mary/marty stu. They're usually extremely perfect, with amazingly tragic backgrounds, but somehow, everyone seems to want them (yes, even those of the same gender). I can't tell you how many times I've encountered such a character, and when the player is told to tone things down a bit, they often leave in a huff. -_- I don't want that to happen here. See, if the site would set down a few rules for characters and how they're accepted we can get a mediocre character, turned into an amazing one!

Instead of saying 'accepted' or 'not accepted', explain a few things to the player on how they can improve on things. Take examples from their writing or how the character may venture into sue territory, but nice about it, PLEASE!

For those of you who may be worried if they have a sue character, or just want to tweak a few things for a character, I suggest taking the Mary Sue Litmus Test, here. ----> http://www.springhole.net/writing/marysue.htm

Also, when making a character, take into consideration some of the show's canon. Remember, a Fire Nation character would have pale skin and yellow/amber eyes, while a Water Tribe character would have dark brown skin and blue/indigo eyes. Earth Kingdom characters vary between dark and pale, but they usually have grey, brown, and green eyes. Air nomads have medium to light skin with brown or orange eyes.

Suggestion # 3 - Design!

Now, I've never worked with a forumotion forum's design before, but if it's customizable like proboards or Invisionfree, then there are plenty of ways to make a site pop and stand out. Instead of just gunmetal black, try a theme every few months and play with the colors. In the Fall, try orange and yellow, for the nomads, Blue for the winter, Green for Spring, and Red for for the summer. Black for the dark benders can be used, as well. And from what I vaguely know from some of the site's canon Nations, you can implement those colors as well.

I've also noticed that there are a lot of cluttered topics in the announcements section, which can be a pain for some people. Instead of having a long grocery list of announcement to sift through, how about you take some of the older elements and tuck them away into their own part of the forum? That way, there can be as little as two or three announce stickied and the site would be much faster to load. That also makes it better for people who may be unsure of a new rule and instead of having to searching through the long list, they can just go to the part of the forum that has the announcements, rules, etc.

Well, that's it for now, I hope you've enjoyed my ideas and shall take them into consideration. Again, I mean no harm and I really like the site. I need to be heading off to bed now, -yawn-, night and please feel free to leave me any questions! Ta-ta, for now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just a few general site suggestions.   Just a few general site suggestions. I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:01 am

As I have read over your list, the names well it's an rpg site. With rpg comes different forums of rpg skills and levels of experience. Too even make a name that is similar to the style the artist is more or less I feel way to controlling and prevents someone to be as creative as possible. Remember this site has a WIDE range of experience, majority are in high school or middle school and a small percentage are in college. So stating that they should make a name similar to the style of the creators....again too controlling .

God modding and op characters not an issue on this site...if you have a problem with someones character and feel it is op then send a message to staff or just to an admin.

Approving and dis approving, we state approved as it's approved of course and some people may toss in a thumbs up or a compliment here and there. We of course will tell if someones character is disapproved. We NEVER or I have never seen someone just state, "Disapproved" we also tell why and how one can tweak it to make it approved....next.

Profile requirements? Controlling much? Again this is a site that accepts all from beginners and experts. We do not have profile requirements as it restricts and places pressure upon new members and new people to rping. Even stating some are lacking is rude enough as some people are not as good or have the time to practice their rping skills.

Site design....not important as a good site does not need to be flashy at all to be one people enjoy.
Back to top Go down
`Jia
Advanced Novice
Advanced Novice
`Jia

PostSubject: Re: Just a few general site suggestions.   Just a few general site suggestions. I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:39 am

Well, first, I have say that I'm sorry that you don't like my suggestions and feel that what I'm suggesting is too hard or controlling. And second, I have to say that I do disagree with your opinion. On the names, I felt that it would be better to carry on the spirit of the Avatarverse if we would try to follow some of the canon (not all) that makes ATLA and LOK unique and different. Plus, even if a player had different experiences, it would not hurt for them to be inspired by something different than they are used to, and in the end, would make them a better player in the long run.

On the profile requirements, I didn't feel that I was trying to be controlling, at all. Many sites do have requirements for their profiles and are some of the most laid back people I've played/worked with. Many of these sites are very helpful, and the novice players that start on those sites are welcomed and helped along the way to understand the requirements. In the end, many of these novice players excelled and had a lot of fun on those sites.

While I do disagree with you on a lot of points, I understand why you may feel this way and I apologize if I stepped on anyone's toes. I just wanted to help. ^__^'

Back to top Go down
drakendottir
Elite Beginner
Elite Beginner
drakendottir

PostSubject: Re: Just a few general site suggestions.   Just a few general site suggestions. I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 5:18 am

I actually think that coming to the characters, Jia has a point here. A little more information on some of the chars would not hurt, it also makes things easier for the rper if he/she has filled out the form as detailed as he/she could. One paragraph for history, for example, is too short in my opinion. I know of course, I'm the girl who makes freakishly long character profiles, but I think a little more information in some cases wouldn't hurt.

I am one of those guys who think that even a beginner can write a decent profile, if he or she gets the right help by the staff. Constructive criticism is the magical word here. The better a profile is, the better and easier the roleplay becomes, for beginners and for people with experience. Also, if we don't point their mistakes out to our beginners, however will they gain experience?

I don't think pointing out a mistake nicely is cruel, unkind, or - how you put it, looney - rude. I think it's rather helpfull. I don't suggest forcing people to write pages and pages, but every profile can be brought to better shape, and if they got some decent feedback, accompagnied by f.e. the rule to write three paragraphs for history, one for character, etc., this would probably help some newbies and give them the base for better rp.

I also don't think we need new design, though, design is completely irrelevant in my eyes. Teaching and/or helping each other to improve our writing, though, would be a good thing to do. Most people don't have a problem with constructive criticism. Highschool or elder, I think that much should be okay for all of us.
Back to top Go down
`Jia
Advanced Novice
Advanced Novice
`Jia

PostSubject: Re: Just a few general site suggestions.   Just a few general site suggestions. I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 11:36 am

Thank you, Draken! That's what my intent really was. I'm not trying to say that anyone is less of a player than the next person, I just want there to be a way for beginners to sharpen their skills, so the speak. As for the design, it was just a simple suggestion, I just thought some parts of the forum seemed a bit cluttered. I'm not in the camp of the people who think everything must be pretty to be good. I hope I made myself more clear on that part. >_<'
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just a few general site suggestions.   Just a few general site suggestions. I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 7:36 pm

I would like to apologize, silly enough I told my older brother to type a responce only disagreeing with the characters being overpowered. Well obviously checking this thread he put his rant instead of my simple responce. So I would like to clarify what I wanted to say. I like everything else EXCEPT overpowered characters and the site skin as coding for these hosted sites are difficult to alter...besides that I have nothing else to complain about.

Noting back to why he posted for me is because I was busy with a clan match for ghost reacon lol
Back to top Go down
Laurent
Elite Beginner
Elite Beginner
Laurent

PostSubject: Re: Just a few general site suggestions.   Just a few general site suggestions. I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:13 pm

We don't accept overpowered characters

And I like black. I would prefer my 2 favourite colours, rainbow and clear, but black is nice too.
Back to top Go down
`Jia
Advanced Novice
Advanced Novice
`Jia

PostSubject: Re: Just a few general site suggestions.   Just a few general site suggestions. I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 1:05 am

Well, that's fine, Looney. I'm glad we got that cleared up then, really, there's no hard feelings. Honest. :3
Back to top Go down
The Phantom Thief
Administrator
Administrator
The Phantom Thief

PostSubject: Re: Just a few general site suggestions.   Just a few general site suggestions. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 3:31 pm

Wow, well, as an admin I feel compelled to respond to this. I actually completely agree with the cluttered announcements area and character profiles. A good profile is what leads to an original character, and we do have requirements as in the layout and such. However, I also understand that a character will develop over time with roleplaying as him/her and so a profile might not be as complete. I am this way, I feel that I need to experiment with my character before I get a solid base down. Also, if a profile is not accepting I have never seen an admin just say "disapproved". We will tell them what needs to be changed or expanded upon. =)

I am not sure it is my place to clean the announcements but I have noticed that they are incredibly long and can sometimes freeze my computer.

The names are completely up to the roleplayer. We are not going to force a rule down everyone's throat that their character name has to be from a specific culture. Of course, if they want to go that route no one is stopping them. Names we leave up to the person and their own creativity. There are few simple American names on the site anyway.

As for the design, it will stay the same. This site has been up and running for three years and we have never had a problem with the design or god-modding for that matter, so I see no reason to fix something that isn't broken. =) But I appreciate your input about the site, it's nice to see people who are interested. ^^
Back to top Go down
Koda Hugacha
Advanced Beginner
Advanced Beginner
Koda Hugacha

PostSubject: Re: Just a few general site suggestions.   Just a few general site suggestions. I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 11:39 pm

I like the site the way it is!

I have been to many different role playing sites and I find this one to be the most fun. The character creation is strict enough so that not just anyone can make an all powerful character but loose enough so lazy people(like me) can still have fun. Anyone who doesn't get away with making an all powerful character and leaves because of it is there problem, people like that usually don't feel like they can have fun without being special and don't know that you don't have to be all powerful to be special.

The only complaints I have with the site is one of the admins seem a little power happy and the imagination of the admins and moderators seems limited to me. This is still my favorite RP site and I'm fine with adapting to the things I disagree with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just a few general site suggestions.   Just a few general site suggestions. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just a few general site suggestions.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next