Welcome to Avatar The Last Airbender RPG! We hope you enjoy your Roleplaying Experience. If you are a User you may log in by clicking the button below, or if you do not have an account you can register by clicking next to Log In.
Welcome to Avatar The Last Airbender RPG! We hope you enjoy your Roleplaying Experience. If you are a User you may log in by clicking the button below, or if you do not have an account you can register by clicking next to Log In.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

420 years after the fall of Ozai, decades of tranquility have brought about an era where peace is no longer only a mere philosophical abstraction. However beyond the grasp of the Four Nations, a long lost legacy resurfaces.

HomeAvatarEventsRegisterLog in
Discord
Latest topics
» ZapdosZulu
Kura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2023 12:06 pm by FyrebirdEvo

» Avatar RPG Funniest Moments on Chat ~ !
Kura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2021 12:55 pm by Loolaalee

» Masquerade! (Open)
Kura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2021 3:02 pm by Paracelsus

» Guo Shu-Fang
Kura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2021 1:13 am by Tsumi Buredo

» Akechi Kamui
Kura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2021 1:03 pm by Fire Lord Kouzai

» The Ibashiyama Festival(Closed, Makaru, Kouzai)
Kura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 4:08 pm by Makaru

» Kyoshi umgon (wip)
Kura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 2:32 am by Kyoshi umgon

» The Eagle and the Osprey | (Kouzai, Loolaalee) | [CLOSED]
Kura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2021 6:44 pm by Loolaalee

» High shining. My sun-prince. For a myriad reigns. Should you have ruled the land. From your Island Palace.
Kura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2021 1:52 am by Deej

Time converter at worldtimebuddy.com
Staff

-Head Admin-
Fire Lord Kouzai

-Council of Admins-
Tsumi Buredo
Loolaalee
Massie
Lady Azzy
Niya

RPG Info

Years Since Ozai's Fall
420 Years
Current Year
It is currently the year: 420 AO (After Ozai)

Kaniehtí:io "Ziio" Aarushi

Royalty
Earth King Lu Meleng
Emperor Nobunaga Ezofuji
Tekonwenaharake Ojitsah, Waneek of the North and South
Roland Hirahara, King of the Four Winds
Light King Sallan Wynphyra V
Dark Lord Pan Daiyu

Affiliates

The Loremaster's Roleplay Family:
Kura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D 89282716461

Our #1 Affiliates:

Our Facebook Affiliates:
Top posters
Fire Lord Kouzai (4839)
Kura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D I_vote_lcapKura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D I_voting_barKura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D I_vote_rcap 
Loolaalee (1351)
Kura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D I_vote_lcapKura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D I_voting_barKura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D I_vote_rcap 
LadyKura (1291)
Bailey The Flamewarden (961)
Leosan (878)
Maki Shadowblade (820)
Tsumi Buredo (726)
Earth King Lu (687)
Annabelle Rinoa Reynolds (651)
River (647)

Kura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LadyKura
Administrator
Administrator
LadyKura

Kura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D Empty
PostSubject: Kura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D   Kura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 5:24 am

Kura's Amazing RP Advice!

Okay, so I was reading Ordan's very helpful guideline topic and decided to do a topic of my own roleplaying advice! Isn't that wonderful?

No?

Well, too bad. ;P Thanks for breaking my heart!

*cries*

But no, really; I feel like there's a few things I need to get off my chest. I'm no expert, of course, but figure I know at least a little bit of things when it comes to roleplaying that can be of use to you! The point is: I am here to help you. It's all about you, baby!

Comment any questions or suggestions or just general opinions you might have! I am going to do a little column of my pet peeves once I'm finished, so stick around for that. I'll be updating this topic as I think of more, so if I come up with more advice, I'll post them!

Now, on to the advice!

*NOTE: Understand that any mention of 'Fire Nation' instead of the 'Vermilion Dragon Empire' is for mere convenience to new users. The Vermilion Dragon Empire is the current name of the Fire Nation.

1. YOUR CHARACTER(S)
    Flat characters are pancake-like characters with little to no well-defined personality traits. They stay the same throughout the entire story. Great RP'ers and authors have little to no characters like this, and can make their secondary characters three-dimensional without interfering with the protagonist's spotlight.

If you understood a single smidgen of what I just said, you definitely wouldn't want your character to be a flat character. Make her round and dynamic!

Round characters have several personality traits that make up who they are. They react to certain situations in a specific way. They behave around certain people a certain way. These characters a are lifelike and believable. They have both strengths and weaknesses and not everyone can tolerate them. They are NOT perfect in any way, shape or form. If your character is amazingly beautiful and has close to no flaws at all, you have a Mary Sue or Gary Stu, which is unfortunate. The only people that find Mary Sues and Gary Stus appeasing are the ones that made them.

Dynamic characters start off one way, then change over the course of the story or roleplaying experience. For instance, my character Tekara was a tomboyish, mistrusting individual with a hell of a lot of irresponsibility and just plain stupidity.

In the end, she became a feminine, wonderful mother who places a lot of faith in the people that surround her and thinks carefully about her decisions. Changes like these makes your characters all the more real and shows their ability to adapt and change according to their circumstances.

2. DETAIL, DETAIL!
    Ah, a topic touched on by Ordan!

Too little detail will confuse other RP'ers and maybe cause some people to want to wring your neck.

An example of too little detail would be this:

"Samantha was angry so she found a rock and kicked it. The rock landed somewhere far away so she went to get it, but her mother called her. Samantha looked up and realized she was lost. How was she going to find her way back home?"

Not the best example, but okay. Who the heck is Samantha? Where is she? Why was she angry? Does she have anger issues or what? How far could she have kicked the damn rock to take her so deep into wherever she's at, she got lost?

I know the forum lists specific locations, so obviously if the post was in the Earth Kingdom: Ba Sing Se, she was in Ba Sing Se, but does it hurt to add detail regardless? She could have easily been in some garden or something in Ba Sing Se. A street in Ba Sing Se. A library in Ba Sing Se with a convenient collection of rocks and a labyrinth of bookshelves? Possibilities are endless!

A post with too much detail is just overwhelming and will take much too long for a fellow RP'er to read. Also, keep the vocabulary understandable. I've been guilty of both of these!

"Samantha had a long history of poor circumstances regarding her ill temperament. Just that morning, she'd thrown a jug at her older brother's head for ever suggesting she should help him clean the attic of their 15 X 20 shanty house. Why they could never afford a larger residence astounded her. Both her mother and father worked. Perhaps if Father didn't gamble, they'll be better off financially and she could learn to master her bending with a professional like she'd always wanted .."

'Blah blah blah' until she finally kicks the damn rock, gets lost, and gets devoured by coyote-wolves. You know, because of that paragraph explaining that she'd run off into the deep, dark forest that all her neighbors complained about and covered about twelve kilometers towards the north? Or the long soliloquy fervently denouncing those claims and touching her her brave personality?

I actually liked that paragraph. It's a good start to set up the exposition, but please, do NOT go on like that for three or four more paragraphs. Again, most of time, the only ones that admire ridiculously long and detailed posts are usually the ones that made it. No one else cares about what your character ate for dinner three weeks ago unless it pertains directly to a present event.

3. DUDE. DIALOGUE.
    I LOVE dialogue!

I love it with all pieces of my itty bitty hawt! ^__^

Dialogue is so fun. It is a good way of putting yourself in your characters' shoes and deciding how they'll react (verbally) to certain situations. I love to compare characters' dialogues. It is amazing how the order of words and punctuation could be like a character's signature. They have their own way of talking, and you can see it.

Oh dialogue. SO wonderful. But there are people that abuse it! >.<

Flat characters have the flattest dialogue. It's like cardboard:

CHARACTER A: Who are you?
      "CHARACTER B: Jun Nakamura. (so Japanese, woahh! ;O)
      CHARACTER A: Haha! Interesting. Name's Fon Li! (so Chinese, ahh! ;D)
      CHARACTER B: Okay.
      CHARACTER A: .. So, what now?
      CHARACTER B: Well, I can continue to bore you with my deadpan attitude to the point where you would want to commit a bloody and painful suicide, or the person RP'ing me can inject a few adjectives into my side of the conversation."

Okay, bad example. That's not how dialogue goes!

Yeesh. I'm not good at giving examples!

"Fon Li fixed his gaze on the newcomer. The person had short gray hair, with the most intense green eyes. He figured he was a decent fellow. Decent enough. 'Who are you?' he asked.

"'Jun Nakamura,' said the stranger.

So that was it, huh? "Haha. Interesting!" said Fon, amused at how his last name carried so many syllables compared to the first. 'Name's Fon Li!'

"'Okay.'

Fon's smile fell. What was up with this guy? '... So, what now?'

The deadpan dialogue could indeed be an element of the character's personality, but please, if your character is outgoing like Fon, show it! Use adjectives and punctuation to convey the impact of his/her words. Use words like, 'intoned', 'giggled', 'screamed', 'cried' and 'grunted'. Is your character's voice 'lilting', 'rough', 'delicate' or 'aggressive'? Be creative. Show his/her personality without actually describing it outright!

4. truTV: NOT REALITY .. ACTUALITY

Okay peeps; be realistic! That means NO magical genies popping out of nowhere. NO random lifesavers rising from the grave. Your polite, sweet character isn't going to drop-kick another character without a genuine purpose. Your mean, aggressive character isn't just going to be nice to everyone he meets for the sake of not scaring the other characters off following their meeting.

While I'm on the topic, stay true to your characters! My character, Ba'sill, is mean. And when I say he's mean, he's damn near cruel. Ba'sill has a harsh tongue and rarely ever gives 1/4th of a crap about almost anything. Granted, I've wanted him to lighten up a bit in certain topics with others, so they didn't feel affronted, but that's just who Ba'sill is. He's a B*stard, but he's my B*stard.

That's why I dislike seeing this:

"CHARACTER APP: Haku is a cold-blooded, merciless fighter that hates all firebenders and wants the Fire Nation to fall.

ACTUAL RP: "The girl turned and smiled at Haku, 'I'm going to the Fire Nation soon. Wanna come with me?'

Haku smiled. 'Sure.'

What? Why didn't he at least hesitate or even glare a little? I thought he hated all Firebenders? Wasn't he pretty passionate about that? Why didn't he erupt in a tirade? Why didn't he, at the very least, camly say no?

It also wouldn't make sense to make a character you wouldn't be able to RP with at all. I've been guilty of making characters so young they can't do jack shit but run around and play with other five-year-olds, but at least that's something. Do not make a character whose personality wouldn't allow them to be in the presence of another for more than five minutes because, you know, logically the RP will go a little like this:

"POSTER A: Nallie bumped into a stranger. She turned and apologized, grinning from ear to ear at her mistake in hopes the stranger would forgive her.

POSTER B: Diablo hated being touched more than he hated potatoes. He hated everything, especially humans. Being in their presence was unbearable.

He ignored the girl and walked away.

(the end)"

Because, you know, that's normally how the guy would respond. Well, according to your character app. No one wants to put up a tremendous amount of effort to get the other chara to stay, and it'll hurt trying to come up with every excuse in the book to keep the character around each time you RP. In roleplays you gotta be social. You gotta have at least a smidgen of gregariousness in you, otherwise what's the point?

Back to the main idea.

Realism.

Be realistic.

Aang mastered one element around the age of, what was it? Twelve?

What a feat! I suppose mastering an element at that age isn't impossible, but it's certainly an amazing feat and should be done with grace and sensibility. Sweat and tears must come with the talent, you all. Sweat and tears. Aang went through hell mastering all the other elements, so should your characters.

Do not attempt things that are humanely impossible, such as jumping a thousand feet in the air and impacting with something with enough force to break bones and yet doesn't. Please do not. That is god-modding, and we don't want that! Bad you!

Also, don't invent things that do not exist. I've been guilty of this, but I learned. My character was once able to bend 'pink flames'. *cringes* The pinkness only looked pretty. The pink fire did not hold any other attributes. It is impossible to form pink fire. Red? Yes. Yellow? Yes. Orange? Yes. Blue? Yes. White? Yes. But not pink.

Controlling air does not automatically mean you can fly. You need an air glider, dammit, otherwise gravity will make you plummet no matter what air resistance you can muster up.

I'm done here. More info can be found riiiight below, under my pet peeves. ^__^

Kura's Pet Peeves!
    1. Bending is a system of coordinated, sometimes complicated body movements. You can't just flick your finger and sent a whole mountain hurling at someone. Typical bending requires movement of some sort in a form of martial arts.

2. When people try to make the entire RP suddenly revolve around their character, especially if said character did not initiate the topic in the first place.

3. God-modding. I hate it. You throw every attack you can think of at the person, and not even a scratch. Meanwhile, because you refuse to god-mod and be realistic, your character has bruises and wounds. I refuse to do that anymore, peeps. You god-mod, my character's going super-saiyan on your ass!

4. Mary-Sues/Gary Stus. They are hideously annoying everywhere. In modern literature. In non-modern literature. Roleplaying, films and especially fanfiction. No matter how beautiful and 'interesting' their creators try to make them, I only find them hideous and boring.

5. When people pester me about posting. Just .. stop, okay? Unless it's crucial to the plot, and even if it is, it's not the end of the world. I have a life to live with mah nachos and Doritos! ^___^

But seriously.

6. Don't be predictable. I love surprises! ;D I expect your character to be all nice and accommodating when WHAM! Your character tries to smack my character in the head with a spatula or something because for a reason that was unknown to me, she hates earthbenders or something.

7. Do not. I repeat, do not pester me about a royalty position, noble title, or just plain plot ideas. If your plot ideas are good enough, I will recommend them to Vermilion Emperor Kouzai, or as I like to call him, Pain. But mostly I should not even be the one your talking to. Your plans should be all right as long as they do not interfere with the main plot, babeh. ^__^

8. I'm getting tired! So more tomorrow. Maybe. Idk, I'm exhausted.

Goodnight (morning)!

Last edited by LadyKura on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1537573/RamaChanChan

Kura's Amazing RP Advice ~ ! ;D
Page 1 of 1