Welcome to Avatar The Last Airbender RPG! We hope you enjoy your Roleplaying Experience. If you are a User you may log in by clicking the button below, or if you do not have an account you can register by clicking next to Log In.
Welcome to Avatar The Last Airbender RPG! We hope you enjoy your Roleplaying Experience. If you are a User you may log in by clicking the button below, or if you do not have an account you can register by clicking next to Log In.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

420 years after the fall of Ozai, decades of tranquility have brought about an era where peace is no longer only a mere philosophical abstraction. However beyond the grasp of the Four Nations, a long lost legacy resurfaces.

HomeAvatarEventsRegisterLog in
Discord
Latest topics
» ZapdosZulu
RPing Do's and Don'ts I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2023 12:06 pm by FyrebirdEvo

» Avatar RPG Funniest Moments on Chat ~ !
RPing Do's and Don'ts I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2021 12:55 pm by Loolaalee

» Masquerade! (Open)
RPing Do's and Don'ts I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2021 3:02 pm by Paracelsus

» Guo Shu-Fang
RPing Do's and Don'ts I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2021 1:13 am by Tsumi Buredo

» Akechi Kamui
RPing Do's and Don'ts I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2021 1:03 pm by Fire Lord Kouzai

» The Ibashiyama Festival(Closed, Makaru, Kouzai)
RPing Do's and Don'ts I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 4:08 pm by Makaru

» Kyoshi umgon (wip)
RPing Do's and Don'ts I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 2:32 am by Kyoshi umgon

» The Eagle and the Osprey | (Kouzai, Loolaalee) | [CLOSED]
RPing Do's and Don'ts I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2021 6:44 pm by Loolaalee

» High shining. My sun-prince. For a myriad reigns. Should you have ruled the land. From your Island Palace.
RPing Do's and Don'ts I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2021 1:52 am by Deej

Time converter at worldtimebuddy.com
Staff

-Head Admin-
Fire Lord Kouzai

-Council of Admins-
Tsumi Buredo
Loolaalee
Massie
Lady Azzy
Niya

RPG Info

Years Since Ozai's Fall
420 Years
Current Year
It is currently the year: 420 AO (After Ozai)

Kaniehtí:io "Ziio" Aarushi

Royalty
Earth King Lu Meleng
Emperor Nobunaga Ezofuji
Tekonwenaharake Ojitsah, Waneek of the North and South
Roland Hirahara, King of the Four Winds
Light King Sallan Wynphyra V
Dark Lord Pan Daiyu

Affiliates

The Loremaster's Roleplay Family:
RPing Do's and Don'ts 89282716461

Our #1 Affiliates:

Our Facebook Affiliates:
Top posters
Fire Lord Kouzai (4839)
RPing Do's and Don'ts I_vote_lcapRPing Do's and Don'ts I_voting_barRPing Do's and Don'ts I_vote_rcap 
Loolaalee (1351)
RPing Do's and Don'ts I_vote_lcapRPing Do's and Don'ts I_voting_barRPing Do's and Don'ts I_vote_rcap 
LadyKura (1291)
Bailey The Flamewarden (961)
Leosan (878)
Maki Shadowblade (820)
Tsumi Buredo (726)
Earth King Lu (687)
Annabelle Rinoa Reynolds (651)
River (647)

RPing Do's and Don'ts

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Henate
Advanced Student
Advanced Student
Henate

RPing Do's and Don'ts Empty
PostSubject: RPing Do's and Don'ts   RPing Do's and Don'ts I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 6:17 pm

Hi, and welcome to this quick list of Do's and Don'ts when it comes to RPing, but first, i have to state a few things:
1)I do not think that anyone of you are less skilled and need help. I think that everyone are good RPers, and the reason for why I am making this topic is to perhaps create a few pointers for beginners on how to RP.
2)I do not think I am more skilled at RPing than you. What skill is depends on the eye that views. I might have a bit more experience than most here, but that doesn't automatically make me better at it.
3)It's not too late of and old dog to learn new tricks. This is simply a guide for the ones who are unsure when it comes to RPing

Now that, that is out of the way, how about we start.
Here is a few explanations to words I will use during this list, again, this is for the people that are just starting out RPing. If you already know the definitions for each word, feel free to move on.

Metagaming: Metagaming is essentially that you take Out of Character information, and use it as if your character knew this. For example: Someone says over the chat that they are a villan. Then someone goes and meet this person through RP and begins to yell 'Murderer!'

Powergaming: This is when you RP with your character, and give them powers they are not supposed to have or know how to do. F.ex: An earthbender under training, metal bending his/her way out of a metal prison

Godmoding: This is when you force an action or thought onto someone else. Essentially, this is RPing what you do, and then RPing what your opponent does.

Overpowered: This is essentially when you give your character massive powers with no downsides to the character. For example: Being able to kill someone by waving your finger.

I think that sort of rounds the definitions off, so on time I moved to the Do's and Don'ts.

Dont's:
-Don't make your character a lone wolf whos only mission is to get revenge over someone. This greatly limits your RPing possibilities and leaves you with nothing to do after you finally manage to get revenge.
-Don't make your character have a massive handicap, for example blindness, unless you create an event in their background story that causes them to loose their eyesight. Functioning like normal is impossible for someone who is blind, and not every blind person is an earthbender.
-Don't create a character with an overly traumatic past. By overly traumatic past I mean, having his/her entire family being killed infront of his eyes, and getting out of the situation without even a physical scratch. Heck, chances are, if someone manages to kill your entire family while you are watching, chances are, they will kill you.
-Not everyone is pretty and sexy. Don't make all of your characters overly attractive. There are less attractive people in the world. In reality, only 8 people out of 1 million is beautiful enough to be an model. (Don't misunderstand me here. No one is ugly, everyone is beautiful, but only 8/1million are pretty after what the makeup artists and designers think. )
-Don't just think about good sides with your character, think about the bad sides aswell. and if you can't find any bad sides about your character. It's on time you add some. Balanced characters is a key ingredient to great RP.
-Don't make your character know everything from the start unless you create them old from the start. Chances are, a 13 year old isn't a master of his element.
-Try your best to avoid posting in threads that are not in the same nation or city.

And not for the Do's

Do's:
- Make your character interesting. Add something that separates them from the rest. Be creative. People have a tendency to think inside the box. It usually goes through: Assasin, Avenger, Royal, Lone wolf. Think outside the box. I have yet so see: A farmer with a great passion for pigs that travells around the world putting them out on exhibition, A muscular earthbender that looks like he can break your legs like a tooth pick but is really fond of his teddy bear and can't hurt a fly, A fire-nation civilian that is afraid of fire and insects, A water-nation civilian that grew up in a foreign country and can't swim, and yet, is an water-bender.
- Balance out the apperance of your character. If your character is pretty, and looks good, chances are that s/he doesn't have enough time to practice bending and such
- Always add attempts/tries/moves in/etc infront of an action aimed towards a different players character. If you forget to do this, your move will fall under the category of godmodding, in which case, common RPer sence, will tell the other RPer that they either should avoid RPing with you, or they can respond to what would realistically have happened if you had attempted the move.
-Gradually make your character go bad if you wish for that to happen. If your character starts out bad, chances are, you will have limited RP, but if they gradually turn bad, they will already have friends that might join you.
-If you want to have an active topic, make sure to make your first RP open enough for anyone who wishes to join, to join. If you RP that you are travelling, chances are, you won't encounter alot of people on the road.
-Use common sence! I can't stress this enough. You are not superman, you can't lift giant rocks over your head and throw them unless your an earthbender. If you hit something you can't break in real, chances are, you will hurt your hand, if not break it. If you get cold for a long period of time, chances are, you'll get a cold.
-Create charaters of older age is the forum is populated by multiple 16-20 year olds. Rping as an old man/woman can be tons of fun, and allows you much more freedom when developing your character, plus, they can have rather amusing quirks and maybe very forgetful? Wink

Now, more Do's and Don'ts will come with time. And I hope this small guide gave you a small guideline on how to make your character, and what creates the best RP foundations.

What I used for my sources is my 4 years of RP experience.
Hope that you'll stop by this thread whenever you feel like it's needed, and good luck!
Back to top Go down

RPing Do's and Don'ts
Page 1 of 1