Welcome to Avatar The Last Airbender RPG! We hope you enjoy your Roleplaying Experience. If you are a User you may log in by clicking the button below, or if you do not have an account you can register by clicking next to Log In.
Welcome to Avatar The Last Airbender RPG! We hope you enjoy your Roleplaying Experience. If you are a User you may log in by clicking the button below, or if you do not have an account you can register by clicking next to Log In.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

420 years after the fall of Ozai, decades of tranquility have brought about an era where peace is no longer only a mere philosophical abstraction. However beyond the grasp of the Four Nations, a long lost legacy resurfaces.

HomeAvatarEventsRegisterLog in
Discord
Latest topics
» ZapdosZulu
Information About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2023 12:06 pm by FyrebirdEvo

» Avatar RPG Funniest Moments on Chat ~ !
Information About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2021 12:55 pm by Loolaalee

» Masquerade! (Open)
Information About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2021 3:02 pm by Paracelsus

» Guo Shu-Fang
Information About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2021 1:13 am by Tsumi Buredo

» Akechi Kamui
Information About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2021 1:03 pm by Fire Lord Kouzai

» The Ibashiyama Festival(Closed, Makaru, Kouzai)
Information About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 4:08 pm by Makaru

» Kyoshi umgon (wip)
Information About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 2:32 am by Kyoshi umgon

» The Eagle and the Osprey | (Kouzai, Loolaalee) | [CLOSED]
Information About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2021 6:44 pm by Loolaalee

» High shining. My sun-prince. For a myriad reigns. Should you have ruled the land. From your Island Palace.
Information About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2021 1:52 am by Deej

Time converter at worldtimebuddy.com
Staff

-Head Admin-
Fire Lord Kouzai

-Council of Admins-
Tsumi Buredo
Loolaalee
Massie
Lady Azzy
Niya

RPG Info

Years Since Ozai's Fall
420 Years
Current Year
It is currently the year: 420 AO (After Ozai)

Kaniehtí:io "Ziio" Aarushi

Royalty
Earth King Lu Meleng
Emperor Nobunaga Ezofuji
Tekonwenaharake Ojitsah, Waneek of the North and South
Roland Hirahara, King of the Four Winds
Light King Sallan Wynphyra V
Dark Lord Pan Daiyu

Affiliates

The Loremaster's Roleplay Family:
Information About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More 89282716461

Our #1 Affiliates:

Our Facebook Affiliates:
Top posters
Fire Lord Kouzai (4839)
Information About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More I_vote_lcapInformation About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More I_voting_barInformation About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More I_vote_rcap 
Loolaalee (1351)
Information About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More I_vote_lcapInformation About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More I_voting_barInformation About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More I_vote_rcap 
LadyKura (1291)
Bailey The Flamewarden (961)
Leosan (878)
Maki Shadowblade (820)
Tsumi Buredo (726)
Earth King Lu (687)
Annabelle Rinoa Reynolds (651)
River (647)

Information About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fire Lord Kouzai
Loremaster General
Loremaster General
Fire Lord Kouzai

Location : Well I used to have a life, but now I own the RPG, just kidding, but really

Information About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More Empty
PostSubject: Information About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More   Information About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 5:00 pm

The Empire of the Sun is ruled by its authoritarian autocrat, the Emperor of the Sun. Chosen by the God F'yr as his earthly successor, the Emperor, the oldest member of the Ezofuji Clan, is the undisputed ruler of all Fire Benders, and all lands beneath their grasp.

The Empire focuses on military might and economic trade to help further its growth and exert its dominance on the world stage.

Below you will find a collection of information on the nobility, Kuge, Tozama and Fudai Daimyo, as well as laws and rules of the Empire.

Government Structure

The “government” of the Empire isn’t so much a government in the democratic sense. An autocratic ruler, the Emperor, heads it. The Emperor keeps few ministers or advisors, and thus rules much of the Empire himself. Daimyo are appointed for making the sub-management of day-to-day goings on in the provinces easier.

The Emperor is known by their full title:

Emperor of the Sun, Autocrat of All Fire Benders, Daijo-daijin, Grand Chancellor of the Imperial Ministries, Lord of Nippon, Protector of the Realm, Blood of the Sun, Guardian of Dragons, Descendant of F'yr

The Emperor oversees the running of the two divisions of government, the Jingi-kan and the Daijo-kan.

It should be noted that while the term “Ministry” is used, no ministers or bureaucrats oversee the Ministries. The Ministries are simply administrative bodies that help organize and oversee certain aspects of the state or government. These ministries, are directly controlled and overseen by the Emperor, as Daijo-daijin, and micromanaged by his Sadaijin and Udaijin, Ministers of the Left and Right respectively.

The Jingi-kan is the more important of the two, known as the Department of Worship, also known as the Ministries of the Left. It is responsible for annual religious and cultural festivals, official court ceremonies such as coronations, funerals and births, the upkeep of shrines and temples, the discipline and management of Shrine Maidens and Fire Sages, the recording and observation of oracles and divinations, and the recording, chronicling, discovery and preservation of history and important events and artefacts.

The Jingi-kan is closely managed by the Sadaijin, Minister of the Left. Usually, though not always, the Sadaijin is the High Priestess of the Empire.

The Ministries under the Jingi-kan are:

- The Ministry of Records
- The Ministry of Ceremonies
- The Ministry of Culture and Religious Affairs

The Daijo-kan is the lesser of the two, but is still vastly important, concerning itself with the day to day running of the Empire. It is known as the Department of State, or the Ministries of the Right. The Daijo-kan oversees the seven ministries of state.

It is directly overseen by the Udaijin, the Minister of the Right, who is typically, though not always the Ambassador of the Empire and its Royal Family.

The Ministries under the Daijo-kan are:

- The Ministry of the Centre
- The Ministry of Administrative Affairs
- The Ministry of Popular Affairs
- The Ministry of the Military and War
- The Ministry of Justice
- The Ministry of the Treasury
- The Ministry of the Imperial Household

The Ministries and their Functions

The Ministries are divided into two groups: The Ministries of the Jingi-kan, and the Ministries of the Daijo-kan.

There are currently three ministries run by the Jingi-kan, and seven by the Daijo-kan. Their functions are as follows:

Jingi-kan Ministries
The Ministry of Records
- Meticulous record keeping of statistics, records, histories, edits, laws, etc.
- Maintenance of cultural idols and artefacts
- Fund archaeological digs and research into Imperial history and culture
- Record history and goings on in the world

The following responsibilities of the Ministry of Records are done in conjunction and with the cooperation of the Ministry of the Centre and the Ministry of the Treasury:
- Compilation of the history of the country
- Maintenance of the records relating to the gazetteer
- Maintenance of the records relating to the personal status of the Imperial princesses and princes
- Maintenance of the records relating to the maids of honour and other court ladies
- Oversight of the submission to the Emperor of the census of the population in various provinces
- Oversight of the submission to the Emperor of the accounts of the taxes to be levied
- Oversight of the submission to the Emperor of the lists of the priests and shrine maidens in the provinces
- Supervision of the Imperial Archives
- Administration of the annual expenditure of the court and to various articles provided for the use of the Imperial family
- Keeping and maintaining Imperial heirlooms and regalia

The Ministry of Ceremonies
- Oversight of the succession and marriage of officials, royalty and nobility
- Oversight of the formalities relating to deaths, funerals and the granting of posthumous rank
- Management of the memorial activities which honour the anniversaries of the demise of a former Emperor or Fire Lord
- Monitoring and recording of the posthumous names of all the former Emperors and Fire Lords, so that none of those names shall be used by any of the succeeding Emperors or Fire Lords nor by any subject
- Adjudication of disputes about the order of precedence of the various noble families
- Supervision of all matters relating to music
- Registrations of the names of temples, Fire Sages, priests, shrine maidens, priestesses and shamans
- Reception and entertainment of foreigners and managing their presentation to the Emperor in cooperation with the Ambassador
- Maintenance of the Imperial sepulchres (misasagi) and burial mounds (kofun), including the oversight of those in attendance upon them
- Responsible for maintaining order and ceremony within the Kuge families
- Overseeing coronations, royal marriages and other important affairs
- Naming of the Era years on the Imperial calendar

The Ministry of Culture and Religious Affairs
- The administration and organization of cultural and religious festivals and holidays
- The administration and punishment of Shrine Maidens, Priests and Priestesses, Fire Sages, Shamans and Mediums
- Organization and reallocation of the above positions
- Restoring and protecting cultural history, art, song, and buildings
- The creation and construction of art, song, statuary, buildings and other items that will become, or are culturally significant
- Maintenance, administration, and construction of religious buildings such as temples, shrines, and grand shrines
- Supervision of the astronomical calculations and the arrangement of the calendar
- Oversight of the pictorial artists at court

Daijo-kan Ministries
The Ministry of the Centre
- Attendance upon the Emperor, including advice to him on his personal matters, supporting him in the maintenance of the proper dignity and helping him in the observance of proper forms of etiquette
- Assisting in the inspection and countersigning of drafts of Imperial Rescripts, Laws, Edicts and Proclamations
- Making of representations to the Emperor
- Support in the issuance of Imperial Orders in times of war
- Monitoring the reception of addresses to the Emperor
- Regulation of the medicaments to be supplied to the Emperor and medical advice given to him
- Assistance relating to the Grand Empress Dowager, the Empres Dowager, and the Empress

The following responsibilities of the Ministry of the Centre are done in conjunction and with the cooperation of the Ministry of Records and the Ministry of the Treasury:
- Maintenance of the records relating to the personal status of the Imperial princesses and princes
- Maintenance of the records relating to the maids of honour and other court ladies
- Oversight of the submission to the Emperor of the census of the population in various provinces
- Oversight of the submission to the Emperor of the accounts of the taxes to be levied
- Oversight of the submission to the Emperor of the lists of the priests and shrine maidens in the provinces
- Administration of the annual expenditure of the court and to various articles provided for the use of the Imperial family

The Ministry of Administrative Affairs
- Enacts a detailed procedure for the enforcement of the laws pertaining to nobility, royalty and kuge families
- Oversees the maintenance of tozama and fudai daimyo
- Grades the performances of civil officers, recommending their appoints, removal, rewards or punishment, their ceremonial seniorities and privileges
- Conducts civil and Imperial examinations into Daimyo families, administrative processes and the running of provinces

The Ministry of Popular Affairs
Much of the work of the Ministry of Popular Affairs is done in conjunction with the Ministry of the Treasury, and the Ministry of Records
- Oversight of affairs of the common people, viewed as taxable producers of goods
- Conducts censes of the population throughout the provinces
- Keeps cadastral (real estate) records
- Keeps tax accounting records
- Responsible for the registers of populations
- The labour tax
- Family obligations [Such as the exemptions from labour tax in deserving cases, such as that of a son as the sole support of aged parents]
- Servants and slaves, who being unfree and without property are taxable
- Maintenance and building of bridges, roads, harbours, fences, bays, lakes, mountains, rivers, woods, swamps and rice lands in all provinces; the responsibilities of these are not just the upkeep and maintenance but also the taxation of them

The Ministry of the Military and War
- Oversight of the rosters of military officers, including examinations, appointment and ranks
- Dispatching of troops
- Supervision of arsenals of weapons, guards, fortifications and signal fires
- Maintenance of pastures, military horses, and public and private horses and cattle
- Administration of postal stations and traveller’s way stations along highways and major roads
- Control of the manufacture of weapons and weapon-makers
- Oversight of the drumming and flute playing on the battlefield
- Control of public and private means of water transporation
- Regulation of the training of Imperial Messenger Hawks and Guard Dogs
- Upkeep, maintenance, construction and administration of Imperial military installations

The Ministry of Justice
- Administration and conduct of trials
- Oversight of the determination of the severity of punishments
- Regulation of the impositions of fines, imprisonments and penal servitude
- Regulation and oversight of executions both public and private
- Enforcement of laws regarding commoners and the general public

The Ministry of the Treasury
- Administration of public accounts
- Oversight of tax collections and of offerings to the Emperor
- Regulations of weights and measures
- Control of the fluctuations in prices of commodities
- Regulation and oversight of the coinage of gold, silver, copper and iron money
- Maintenance of the lists of artisans engaged in coinage-related activities
- Regulation of activities in the manufacture of lacquer ware, weaving and other kinds of industries
- Taxation and tax collection for nobles, kuge, and the general public
- Assessment of the value of resource production stations throughout the Empire
- Assessment and distribution of koku and monetary stipends for Daimyo

The following responsibilities of the Ministry of the Treasury are done in conjunction and with the cooperation of the Ministry of Records and the Ministry of the Centre:

The Ministry of the Imperial Household
- Supervision and maintenance of the rice fields for the supply to the Imperial family
- Oversight of the harvesting done on the Imperial domains
- Orchestrating the presentation to the Emperor of rare delicacies as gifts from his subjects
- Administration of the culinary and engineering departments of the court
- Regulation of Imperial breweries
- Oversight of the court ladies
- Oversight of court smiths
- Management of court servants
- Oversight of the Imperial Wardrobe
- Attending to the Imperial princes and princesses
- Creation and maintenance of Imperial Royal Standards used by the Emperor

Successors and Hereditary Titles

The Emperor’s successor, the Crown Prince or Princess, is always granted the title of Sei-i Taishogun, Leader of the Expeditionary Force Against the Barbarians. As Sei-i Taishogun, the Crown Prince or Princess is given full control over the Imperial Second Army and rule of Nippon Province. The job of the heir here is to help combat the demon hordes in Nippon—in doing so, the heir is supposed to gain military knowledge and experience as well as leadership experience.

The other titles of the government are granted to the Kuge families and passed down their line of succession. No members of the Tozama or Fudai Daimyo shall hold a position in government.

The Ezofuji Clan and Dynasty

Ezofuji Clan Mon:

Imperial Standard specific to the Emperor, bearing the Tenka Fubu seal:

Tenka Fubu on the Rubber Stamp Seal of the Emperor:

Tenka Fubu:

The Ezofuji Dynasty is the name for the Ezofuji Clan that has ruled the Empire since it was first established as the Fire Nation under Fire Lord Konoe Ezofuji, in 1032 B.O. (Before Ozai’s Defeat).

The Ezofuji Clan has thus, ruled the lands once known as the Fire Nation for an accumulated 1462 years without a single break in the lineage.

This makes the Ezofuji Clan the most contiguous, and oldest, ruling family in the Six Nations, if cadet branches of royal families are not counted.

The history of the Ezofuji Clan stretches back further than that, however, as it is said the Ezofuji Clan descend from the Fire God, F’yr, when he chose to mate with an Oina Woman. The result of their tryst was known as Nagi, a legendary hero of the Oina, and father to Fire Lord Konoe. When Konoe became Fire Lord, he married his childhood friend and daughter of the Emperor of Nippon at the time, Nara Fujiwara, of the prestigious Fujiwara Clan.

The Fujiwara Clan continued marrying their daughters to future Fire Lords of the Ezofuji Clan for generations afterwards until Fire Lord Nara. Fire Lady Eiko was the last of the Fujiwara Clan in the Six Nations, and the last of the Fujiwara’s to marry into the Ezofuji Clan.

The mon (emblem or symbol) of the Ezofuji Clan is a black sahla flower on a yellow standard. Their patron god is F’yr, God of Fire, and the Clan Leader’s personal standard, usually the Emperor of Fire Lord, is black text on a black Imperial coin on a yellow standard. The text reads “Tenka Fubu”, or “Rule all under the heavens by force.”

This is the motto of the Ezofuji Clan.

Information About the Nobility

Within the Empire, several noble houses exist as ruling Daimyo, governors of the provinces in the Empire. These Daimyo are of the former Fire Nation nobility, and are given payment in both gold, as as an annual stipend, and koku, a measurement of rice. One koku is enough rice to feed a single adult for a year.

It should be noted that all noble “houses” are officially referred to as Clans.

The more money the provinces bring to the Empire, the higher their annual share of the profits, and the higher amount of koku they are granted.

Any and all resources processing is property of the state, but is overseen by the local daimyo. This includes fisheries, mines, lumber mills, etc.

The profits from these resource-processing endeavours go towards the upkeep and maintenance of the province. What remains is given to the state, and a percentage is returned to the Daimyo at the end of the year as part of their annual stipend.

Daimyo may enter business ventures of their own in order to grow their own wealth and income, but all income must be reported to the state and is subject to tiered taxation.

All nobles, Kuge, Tozama or Fudai, must spend half of the year at homes maintained in the capital, and the other half in their provinces. The families of Tozama daimyo are required to remain in the capital all year round. Fudai Daimyo are required to leave a few family members in their homes in the capital. Kuge Daimyo may come and go as they please.

Maintenance of castles granted to Daimyo are undergone by the Crown and Emperor Directly and paid for by the Ministry of the Treasury. No fortifications, or expansions of a military nature may be undertaken on these castles unless approved by the Emperor or the country is at war. Repairs may be made freely but reported to the Crown.

Any noble found in violation of these rules above will be sentenced to death for treason, and their Clan disbanded.

Further laws and rules can be found in the Imperial Code for Nobles, [url=]Buke Shohatto[/url]

Within the nobility there are three divisions to be aware of:

1. The Kuge Families. These families descend directly from the Ezofuji Clan and are limited and restricted. One cannot become a Kuge, even by marrying into the Ezofuji Clan. Kuge Clan are not created, they are a birthright.

2. The Fudai Daimyo. Trusted Daimyo, given total trust by the Emperor through past service to the Ezofuji Clan, the Crown or to the country throughout history. These direct vassals of the Crown have been given some of the better lands, larger stipends and larger contingency of soldiers for use in administration of their provinces. Their koku and monetary stipends are larger as a result.

3. The Tozama Daimyo. Newly created nobles, nouveau riche, or formerly disgraced or problematic Daimyo. These daimyo, for whatever reason, do not have the full trust of the Crown, and are put under close watch and scrutiny by the Emperor and the Crown. Their lands are not as plentiful as Kuge or Fudai Daimyo, their positions not as important, and their monetary and koku stipend smaller as a result.

The Kuge Families

The Kuge families are noble families directly descended from the Imperial line, starting with Nobunaga. They cannot be changed or added to. The Kuge families are Ezofuji in all but name.

To honour their service to the Crown and their importance to the governance of the Empire, the Kuge families were granted their own names to begin their own legacies and assist in the management of state.

Unlike Fudai or Tozama Daimyo, in cases where the Ezofuji Clan has no viable heirs, the Kuge families can step up and ascend to the throne to rule the Nation.

The Kuge families are the only families permitted to place their last names first, first names last with the pronoun “no” in between the two. For example: Fujiwara no Nobushige refers to Nobushige, of the Fujiwara Clan.

The Kuge families are:

The Fujiwara Clan

Fujiwara Clan Mon:

Descended from Fujiwara no Nobushige, the second son of Emperor Nobunaga Ezofuji, the Fujiwara Clan takes its names from the original Fujiwara Clan of yore, but is not related and has not been since their ancestor, Fire Lord Nara, married the last Fujiwara.

The Fujiwara Clan is responsible for the management and running of Yamagata Province. The Heads of the Fujiwara Clan are known as the Prince or Princess Yamagata. They are Daimyo of Yamagata Province, ruling from the Summer Palace on Ember Island, as well as Stewards of said palace.

Their clan emblem is a white, stylized paulownia blossom with leaves on a black standard.

The Taira Clan

Taira Clan Mon:

Descended from Taira no Nobuyuki, the third son of Emperor Nobunaga Ezofuji, the Taira Clan is responsible for the management and running of Tenchi Province. The Heads of the Taira Clan are known as the Prince or Princess Tenchi. They are Daimyo of Tenchi Province, ruling from the Tenchi Palace on Tenchi Mountain, as well as Stewards of said palace.

Their clan emblem is a red, stylized swallowtail butterfly on a white standard.

The Minamoto Clan

Minamoto Clan Mon:

Descended from Minamoto no Nobumori, the fourth son of Emperor Nobunaga Ezofuji, the Minamoto Clan is responsible for the management and running of Yanagi Province. The Heads of the Minamoto Clan are known as the Prince or Princess Yanagi. They are Daimyo of Yanagi Province, ruling from Kurikawa Castle in Kurikawa, as well as Stewards of said palace.

Their clan emblem is a blue set of bamboo leaves below three gentian flowers on a white standard.

The Abe Clan

Abe Clan Mon:

Descended from Abe no Sayuri, the first daughter of Emperor Nobunaga Ezofuji, the Abe Clan Head is responsible for the positions of Udaijin, Minister of the Right, Ambassador of the Empire and its Imperial Family, the Ezofuji Estate, Keeper of Keys, and the Four Stars of the Western Sea.

Their clan emblem is a black, stylized oak leaf within a black circle on a white standard.

The Kiyohara Clan

Kiyohara Clan Mon:

Descended from Kiyohara no Mayumi, the second daughter of Emperor Nobunaga Ezofuji, the Kiyohara Clan Head is responsible for the positions of Keeper of Records, Grand Archivist, Grand Scribe of the Ezofuji Dynasty, and manages the Ministry of Records.

Their clan emblem is a grey, diagonal square with a hole in the centre, in a grey circle on a white standard.

The Koga Clan

Koga Clan Mon:

Descended from Koga no Hana, the third daughter of Emperor Nobunaga Ezofuji, the Koga Clan Head is responsible for the positions of Head of the Ezofuji braves, Head of the Imperial Guard, Defender of the Throne and training and organizing the Empire’s Koga Ninjas.

Their clan emblem a black ship’s wheel representing the six paths of reincarnation, encircled by six left-facing vases, and inside a black circle on a white standard.

The Ō Clan

Ō Clan Mon:

Descended from Ō no Kenreimon, the fourth daughter of Emperor Nobunaga Ezofuji, the Ō Clan Head is responsible for the positions of Sadaijin, Minister of the Left, High Priestess of the House of Ezofuji, Nippon and the Empire, and Steward of Sozin’s Island.

Their clan emblem is a black, stylized representation of Yatagarasu, the animal guardian of the Ezofuji Clan, on a white standard.
Back to top Go down
https://avatar-rpg-revised.forumotion.com

Information About the Empire, its Government, its Nobility, its Dynasty and More
Page 1 of 1