Welcome to Avatar The Last Airbender RPG! We hope you enjoy your Roleplaying Experience. If you are a User you may log in by clicking the button below, or if you do not have an account you can register by clicking next to Log In.
Welcome to Avatar The Last Airbender RPG! We hope you enjoy your Roleplaying Experience. If you are a User you may log in by clicking the button below, or if you do not have an account you can register by clicking next to Log In.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

420 years after the fall of Ozai, decades of tranquility have brought about an era where peace is no longer only a mere philosophical abstraction. However beyond the grasp of the Four Nations, a long lost legacy resurfaces.

HomeAvatarEventsRegisterLog in
Discord
Latest topics
» ZapdosZulu
Lesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura) I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2023 12:06 pm by FyrebirdEvo

» Avatar RPG Funniest Moments on Chat ~ !
Lesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura) I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2021 12:55 pm by Loolaalee

» Masquerade! (Open)
Lesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura) I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2021 3:02 pm by Paracelsus

» Guo Shu-Fang
Lesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2021 1:13 am by Tsumi Buredo

» Akechi Kamui
Lesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2021 1:03 pm by Fire Lord Kouzai

» The Ibashiyama Festival(Closed, Makaru, Kouzai)
Lesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura) I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 4:08 pm by Makaru

» Kyoshi umgon (wip)
Lesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura) I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 2:32 am by Kyoshi umgon

» The Eagle and the Osprey | (Kouzai, Loolaalee) | [CLOSED]
Lesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura) I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2021 6:44 pm by Loolaalee

» High shining. My sun-prince. For a myriad reigns. Should you have ruled the land. From your Island Palace.
Lesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura) I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2021 1:52 am by Deej

Time converter at worldtimebuddy.com
Staff

-Head Admin-
Fire Lord Kouzai

-Council of Admins-
Tsumi Buredo
Loolaalee
Massie
Lady Azzy
Niya

RPG Info

Years Since Ozai's Fall
420 Years
Current Year
It is currently the year: 420 AO (After Ozai)

Kaniehtí:io "Ziio" Aarushi

Royalty
Earth King Lu Meleng
Emperor Nobunaga Ezofuji
Tekonwenaharake Ojitsah, Waneek of the North and South
Roland Hirahara, King of the Four Winds
Light King Sallan Wynphyra V
Dark Lord Pan Daiyu

Affiliates

The Loremaster's Roleplay Family:
Lesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura) 89282716461

Our #1 Affiliates:

Our Facebook Affiliates:
Top posters
Fire Lord Kouzai (4839)
Lesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura) I_vote_lcapLesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura) I_voting_barLesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura) I_vote_rcap 
Loolaalee (1351)
Lesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura) I_vote_lcapLesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura) I_voting_barLesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura) I_vote_rcap 
LadyKura (1291)
Bailey The Flamewarden (961)
Leosan (878)
Maki Shadowblade (820)
Tsumi Buredo (726)
Earth King Lu (687)
Annabelle Rinoa Reynolds (651)
River (647)

Lesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LadyKura
Administrator
Administrator
LadyKura

Lesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura) Empty
PostSubject: Lesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura)   Lesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura) I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 11:53 pm

Hello everyone! I'm Kura. These are my tips when it comes to quotation, a common area in which many users have trouble in. Along with quotes, I am going to be covering various other aspects of narrative writing. Keep in mind that although I am very passionate about English, I am far from perfect. We all make mistakes. I am here to aid in preventing the more common ones. I will not criticize you; I will help in the best way I can! =D Any and all questions may be posted as a reply to this topic or messaged to me directly.

(1) WHAT IS A QUOTATION?
    Very simple; quotations, or namely 'dialogue', are those magical little words that demonstrate when a character is a speaking in a narrative. Though it is a common misconception that 'quotes' and 'quotations' are the same thing, they are not. To 'quote' is a verb, whereas a 'quotation' is a noun. However, the two are so commonly confused, and for the sake of simplicity, you may see me disregard this altogether.

Dialogue is surrounded by quotation marks (those weird-looking little double-comma things you see floating next to the 'enter' key on your keyboard). Dialogue must always include quotation marks. For example, "Can I borrow your shoes?" and "No, Idiot, get your own!"

(2) THE PUNCTUATION PROBLEM
    Pretty basic. It is a particularly cruel law that all sentences need to end in punctuation. Well, dialogue does as well (quotations do not). In dialogue, any punctuation, however, ranging from commas to periods. But here's where it gets iffy:

There's a BIG difference between "Cassian told me he'll be back at nine," and "Cassian told me he'll be back at nine." The first is an incomplete thought, or a fragment, because commas are not used to end sentences. You could end quotations with a comma, but that does not end the sentence. You have to finish it by expressing who is speaking, and the tone that is being used. For example:

"Cassian told me he'll be back at nine," said Castiel.

There! Now you have a sentence. =D

Depending on the tone you want, you can try several different formations. Even if your dialogue ends in a exclamation point or question mark, you do not capitalize the second half:

"Cassian told me he'll be back at nine!" called Castiel.
    "What time will you be back?" inquired Castiel.
    BUT, ("Cassian told me he'll be back at nine." called Castiel) is INCORRECT. Periods mark the definite end of a sentence.

Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1537573/RamaChanChan

Lesson One ~ Quotations/Dialogue (LadyKura)
Page 1 of 1